Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Candy Canes

 Candy Cane History

Izzy 

12/15/20


    Around this time, I get to enjoy my favorite seasonal candy - candy canes. I really love candy canes so I thought I would learn some more about how they were invented and how they are made. 
    According to history.com , "1.76 billion candy canes are produced in the United States annually." One story says that candy canes were invented back in 1670 in Germany to keep the choirboys quiet during the Living Creche(Christmas pageant) performance. They were supposedly turned into a cane because of the holiday. 
    Candy canes are made from a sticky goop of sugar, water and corn syrup. The peppermint flavoring is mixed in with starch that is folded into the sugar mixture by a machine. The machine also had cold water piped into the mixing shovels to cool the hot sugar mixture down. The mix is spun around a metal post by a machine (it's better if you watch the video yourself, linked below) which aerates it and makes it white. I found this interesting because i though the white color was from an artificial color but it's actually just from air. One batch of the sugar mix makes 3200 candy canes!! The mix gets stiffer as it cools down but is heated back up into a thick log. There are two strips of red candy laid onto each side of the candy log. The log of candy weighs 100 POUNDS!! It is put into a series of machines that roll out the candy into the proper thickness. It gets twisted to make the signature stripes and then is cut. The cellophane is wrapped around and hot air is used to shrink it. Another machine curves the end and then they get put into a cardboard box. I definitely recommend watching the video, it was super cool to see all of the machines working. From now on when I eat candy canes I will be amazed at the process it went through to get to me and into my mouth. 
    Nowadays they make so many different types of candy canes other than just pepper mint like Nerds candy canes, Sweet Tart candy canes, Dum Dums candy canes, and more - there are some even for those who aren't big fans of peppermint. I love the normal candy canes - I eat about 5 mini ones a day - and the candy ones. I think I get my love for mint from Momo because she loves York peppermint patties and candy canes too. Now you know a little bit more about candy canes - enjoy some this holiday season :)!



Sources:
How candy canes are made

1 comment:

  1. Interesting info on the candy cane. SO glad to know that you love candy canes so much. So many kids don't like the peppermint flavor. I will be sure to give you the candy cane Xmas door decoration I have so that you can hang it in your favorite place.

    ReplyDelete

Our Trip to Washington D.C.

 Our Trip to Washington, D.C. Izzy 8/19/2021     We got back from Washington, D.C. a couple days ago. I had a great time with Koko and we di...