Saturday, July 8, 2017

MOUNT VERNON! - ETHAN

VISITING MOUNT VERNON!


Today we visited MOUNT VERNON. Mount Vernon is where GEORGE WASHINGTON lived. We even saw his and his wife's grave. His wife was Martha Washington. Below is GEORGE WASHINGTON'S grave. It is in a chamber which is guarded by a gate.  Around his grave are four big stone obelisks with his sayings carved into them. I didn't think he was buried. I thought he was cremated.

Another thing is he owns 10 bedrooms and 9 of which were guest rooms. And one of the bedrooms was where Marque de Lafayette slept in!Lafayette had a painting of himself in front of his bed. Washington was born on february 11th, 1734. He died on December 14th, 1799. He died age 67 and was killed from  and throat disease and his througt closed in and suffocated. That's a pretty harsh way to die. Me and KOKO think Martha died of old age but who knows?

When we saw his tomb I wanted to see him in his tomb. He probably rotted and bugs ate him. Except I don't know about the bug thing but i'm pretty positive he did rot. I was amazed because he was supposed to be the richest man in America at that time and part of it was he was born into a rich family. Another part of it was he ran for president for eight years even though he could of ran for his whole life. He wanted to let other people run too. I think he was the best president ever because he didn't want power and he didn't want to expand the US. He is the exact opposite of the president now.

We took a tour if his house at 10 :15 and his first room (my favorite room) is bigger than most HOUSES IN VIRGINIA! On the way there we saw his animals. The two types animals he owns are cattle and sheep. He owned the cattle for milk (I think) and sheep for wool and milk ( Again I THINK). We even got to touch the sheep! The looked hot in the wool. But they said on weekends in may the hand shave them. Then they said they send it to the weavers that knit the wool and weaved it till it was clothes that GEORGE and his family could wear.  Below is a picture of me and Izzy petting the sheep closest to the fence. The sheep behind the sheep we are petting is my favorite and Izzy's too. I call him toffee because he is the color of toffee. He is the only brown sheep and the other sheep is black but he ran away right before we took the picture. I also have names for the cattle to. The bigger one is BOPPER and the smaller one is backwards because he was facing backwards.

Right before we went into GEORGE WASHINGTONS fruit garden, two sheep were fighting for food and the famed each other! Nothing bad happened but I felt sad because he didn't get any food. The sheep that won looked greedy. He wanted all the food. His fruit garden had a lot of good looking food and one thing that KOKO actually tried was small sour plums according to KOKO.

I would own Mount Vernon if 1. I could afford it and 2.I could take care of it. I mean who doesn't want to own it. It's bigger than the White house!  I looked it up snd it is 11,028 square feet (according to google but it might be wrong) ! It was an awesome experience and I want to go there again next year!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool that you got to see Mount Vernon and I'm so happy you are getting to learn about all of these figures from the early days of the United States. You are also right about our current president. Maybe he should go to Mount Vernon and learn something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if our client President knows as much about George Washington as you do, Ethan!? (I'm guessing maybe not.) This is a great post, I learned a lot! I also love that you guys name alk the animals wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS your blog post is almost as long as Momo's but I still love it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Our Trip to Washington D.C.

 Our Trip to Washington, D.C. Izzy 8/19/2021     We got back from Washington, D.C. a couple days ago. I had a great time with Koko and we di...