Friday, June 29, 2018

The 2018 FIFA World Cup!!!!!!!!

The 2018 FIFA World Cup!!!!
By: Ethan V.
6-29-18

     This year a tournament that only happens once every 4 years is happening. It is the 2018 FIFA world cup!!!!! This year it is in Russia. I think that was a good choice because it is so big. So here is more information about it. The world cup is a tournament of soccer and countries around the world that all compete in. But not all countries get to go, though. This year the U.S. didn't qualify, sadly. But some other countries I like that are in it. These are the countries I am rooting for: Japan, Argentina, Portugal and Mexico who all made it to the second round which is awesome. But you probably don't know what that means so I will tell you. In the first round it starts with 32 teams divided in 8 groups of 4.  Each group is called by one of the first 8 letters of the alphabet. So this is the point system: if you win one game you get 3 points if you have a tie you get 1 point and if you have a loss you get 0 points. I am going to act like I am Japan to demonstrate. We are in the last group, group H, with Columbia, Poland and Senegal.You have to play every single team in your group. First they played Columbia which they won 1-0. Then they played Senegal and tie 2-2. Then it is time to play Poland and they lost 1-0. That leads to a total of 4 points. Columbia got 6 points by winning 2 of their 3 games and you tie with Senegal at 4 points and Poland is eliminated with 3 points. Also I forgot this, the top two teams in each group with the most points go on to the second round.   Since they tied with Senegal in points you go on to goal differential where you add all the goals you made and subtract all the goals you let up. They got 0 and Senegal got 0 also so for the first time in World Cup history FIFA had to use FIFA's fair play rules which comes down to yellow cards which Senegal had more of so Japan went on to the second round with Columbia. Japan plays Belgium and I hope Japan wins. Check in for more information about it in a later blog post!!!









4 comments:

  1. I looooove this post! I learned so much about the World Cup. AND, I think the lower # of yellow cards for Japan totally has to do with Japanese culture!! GO JAPAN, GOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Senegal is also very rough, too so that’s another way Japan had less yellow cards, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informational! I haven't been watching as much this year, especially after my two favorite teams (Mexico and Colombia) were eliminated. :)

    ReplyDelete

Our Trip to Washington D.C.

 Our Trip to Washington, D.C. Izzy 8/19/2021     We got back from Washington, D.C. a couple days ago. I had a great time with Koko and we di...