Monday, June 25, 2018

Playing Go!!--Izzy

Playing Go with Jiji!!!!!!

Izzy
6.25.18


      Today I played go with Jiji. Go is a Japanese game where you try to capture the opponent's pieces by surrounding it. You don't know the score until you add up the points and sometimes you might have an unexpected win! 

     When I played Jiji, I could tell he was always thinking a few steps ahead--even though we weren't talking very much. He kept capturing my pieces and I would notice my mistakes after I made them. I remember playing him when I had just learned and was really focused on getting one piece while he got multiple at a time. I haven't practiced much but played Ethan a few times 2 days ago. Once Jiji showed me how to add up the score, I learned what would get me the most points, so I had a new strategy. When we played, we had to take a break to eat lunch, do our Japanese lesson, eat dinner, and all the stuff in between. I was doubtful of me winning because Jiji had collected many of my pieces and to add up the score, they have to be put back on the board. I helped him add up my score and what do you know--I had 48 points!  We counted his and he only had 31! I had to recount to make sure I wasn't hallucinating! I was thrilled when the score was the same! I just smiled and complimented Jiji on a good game--while I was much more excited on the inside! I should practice more and teach my parents. Go is a very fun game and is similar to chess because it involves strategy! I highly recommend learning how to play it!!!!😜😁😎



This is our set up in the Japanese room.

4 comments:

  1. Nice job Izzy not just on winning against Jiji but being a gracious winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beat Jiji?!? That is CRAZY, Iz! My favorite part of this is you realizing all that you've learned through the process. :) Let's definitely play sometime! (After we get a Go board ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we get a Go board? I'd love to play at home!

      Delete
  3. Good for you! Love your great sportsmanship and strategic thinking!

    ReplyDelete

Our Trip to Washington D.C.

 Our Trip to Washington, D.C. Izzy 8/19/2021     We got back from Washington, D.C. a couple days ago. I had a great time with Koko and we di...